The Sebes Museum-Zapolya House | Print |

                       

Located  downtown, near the City Hall in the  north of the city, the building was built of stone in the XV-th century and increased, substantially, in the next century.

 

  At the present  appearance we can see  elements of the building structure and decoration, that belong to several architectural styles such as Gothic, Baroque and Renaissance. In the XV-th century the house was a small palace, built in gothic style, which served as headquarters of the Diet of Transylvania, and later the residence of” Voivodes” of the province.

 

Here  died on 21 July 1540, voivode, then King of Hungary, John Zapolya. The name "Zapolya House" or "Könighaus,is connected to this event .

 

Although it had many restorations over the centuries XVIII-XX, the southern facade of the building maintains the appearance of specific  buildings of the XVI.  century

 

In 1939 here was the headquarters of the Ethnic German Group, and after nationalization, the building became the headquarters of the Trade Unions. Of 1951 the "House Zapolya" was turned into a museum, and remained like this till now. The monument was restored in the period 1960-1962. Since 1997 the museum belongs to the Cultural Center "Lucian Blaga". In the autumn of 2001 the Museum of Sebes  changed its name in the Municipal Museum "John Raica.”

Amplasata în centrul orasului, lânga Primarie, pe frontul stradal de nord al orasului, clãdirea a fost construitã din piatrã în sec. al XV-lea si mãritã substantial în secolul imediat urmãtor.

 

 La aspectul actual al clãdirii concurã elemente de structurã si decorative, atribuite mai multor stiluri arhitectonice precum: gotic, baroc si renascentist. In secolul al XV-lea casa era un mic palat, construit în stil gotic, ce a servit ca sediu al Dietei Transilvaniei, iar mai târziu ca resedintã a voievozilor provinciei.    

Aici a murit, la 21 iulie 1540, voievodul, iar mai apoi regele Ungariei, Ioan Zapolya. De acest eveniment se leaga denumirea "Casa Zapolya", respectiv "Könighaus", atribuita monumentului.

Janos Zsigismund Zapolya

 

Desi a suferit multe refaceri în cursul secolelor XVIII-XX, fatada de sud a clãdirii pãstreazã aspectul specific edificilor construite în secolul al XVI-lea.

 

În anul 1939 aici se afla sediul Grupului Etnic German, iar dupã nationalizare, clãdirea a devenit sediu al sindicatelor. Din 1951 "Casa Zapolya" a fost transformata in muzeu, postura în care se afla si în momentul de fata. Monumentul a fost restaurat în perioada 1960-1962. Din anul 1997 muzeul este arondat Centrului Cultural "Lucian Blaga". În toamna anului 2001 muzeul din Sebes si-a schimbat titulatura în Muzeul Municipal "Ioan Raica".